Movements for justice have increasingly looked for ways to cultivate healing, accountability and transformation, for people and communities, as well as to hold harmful carceral systems to account. Beyond the Bars 2023 is bringing together people, organizations and movements working on indigenous peacemaking, and restorative, transformative, healing and reparative justice to develop solidarity, share analysis, exchange strategies and practices, and together build power to create the world we need. There is more interest in these approaches than ever before yet relatively limited opportunities to learn, connect and grow about them. BTB 2023 will be an opportunity to learn about how people and communities are taking up these approaches in their own communities, about the tensions and possibilities of working in relationship to systems, and to build connections between and among those already doing this work.
The conference will focus on these guiding questions in the hopes of strengthening our collective work:
- How do we understand the similarities and differences between indigenous peacemaking, restorative, transformative, healing and reparative justice?
- How are people and organizations taking up these approaches in their own communities? What is working? what is not?
- How do we ensure that these approaches to justice between people and communities are connected to movements for broader social transformation?
- What are the tensions, limitations and possibilities in working in relationship to systems?
- How can we think about the question of scale? Should we be scaling up these approaches? Or is there another way to think about this?
- How do these approaches help us to address conflict and harm within movements?
COVID Precautions and Accessibility Information
Masks will be required at the conference except when eating and everyone will be asked to test before attending and show proof of a negative test.
- Friday night and Saturday and Sunday plenaries will be livestreamed for anyone who prefers to attend virtually
- Friday night and Saturday and Sunday plenaries will include an ASL Interpreter for in-person attendance
- Please be in touch if you have any access needs and we will do our best to secure the necessary accommodations.